The bond that a child develops with their Mother is one that can never be severed. She carried and sustained you for nine months and when the umbilical cord was cut at birth, the bond to her heart remained intact. As we grow older, we may sometimes take for granted or forget the woman who bore us, but she will never forget or stop loving you.
Study after study confirms that one of the surest ways to lead a happy, healthy and productive life is to share your love. Mother’s Day is upon us once again and it is nice to take a moment out of our busy schedules to remember our Mothers who bore us so patiently and love us so deeply.
Here are a few ideas for this special day on how to share some love with your Mother as you thank her for the love she has so generously shared with you:
- Cook her favorite meal together with her; do the shopping and clean up by yourself, but spend some time in her familiar kitchen sharing something together that most mother’s love to do
- Take her on a hike with a picnic or bbq afterwards
- Visit one of our fun places that you haven’t been to in awhile like the City of Rocks or The Cliff Dwellings
- Do the traditional Mother’s day brunch at a restaurant or at home
- Splurge on a special experience and buy her a massage, pedicure, day at the spa or resort stay
- Have some fun playing her favorite game/s
- Take her to the movies or have a movie marathon of her favorites at home
- Plant something that will last a long time, like a tree or some perennial flowers or bushes
- Enjoy her favorite sport together, like tennis or golf
- Create a scrapbook or photo album (either print or digital) together as you laugh over memories and put your creative skills to good use
- Take a road trip to the Grand Canyon or Carlsbad Caverns
- Get in contact through her if she is far away; think Skype or video apps
- Go on a shopping trip with her to the mall, whole food store, farmer’s market or winery
- Do some work around her house and have a bbq afterwards
- Donate to her favorite cause in her, or a deceased relative’s name
- Record her history; have everyone make a list of questions they would like to know about family history and roll the tape as you sit around and ask them
- Buy her a DNA test. You can go to dna.ancestry.com to determine your mother’s ancestry and find relatives in an international database
- Learn more about her; who were her friends growing up, what is her favorite color or food, what are some of her favorite memories?
- Go bowling
- Go camping, horseback riding, to the river or backpacking
- Take her to visit her friends
- And don’t forget that very special gift that comes from the heart
The important thing is to make some memories and to spend some time together sharing some love. And if your Mom is no longer around, come down to the Mission to help with lunch at 11:30 am and you can usually find a Mother or two to share some love with.
“A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.”
― Washington Irving
Tell us what you think! Please click below to recommend, share and leave a comment on this page